Friday 28 October 2011

CHILDHOOD (1997)


                                                       (1)

That lost kingdom never shall be regained

All the thrill of a sprightly morning shave

Shall never quite equal that radiant runny nosed innocence.

The magic I try to live down

With all kinds of (empty) rational criticism

Yet it bursts forth more magical than ever before.

And that redeeming touch of your hand

Shall be ever elusive

Except for some rapturous dream at dawn.



                                                       (2)

There was in those days the assurance

That anything you achieved was just a bonus

Over and above your belonging.

As a child I scorned my toys,

Longed to be judged by the world around,

Not just as me,but as one

Who has achieved something of note.

Now that I find the air thick with judgements--

Teachers,friends,the man in the street--

Oh!the yearning to be once more

Nothing more

Or less than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccine-scepticism

One of the most bizarre things you hear today in the post -Covid world is that the pandemic was a conspiracy by giant corporates, drummed up...